2:15 AM | Posted in

We have all heard so much about this new G5 technology, so what is it anyway? Sage went to the drawing board for the new G5. Using very complex computer software they were able to eliminate any unnecessary materials from the rod construction, such as fiberglass. Making the rods slimmer in design, faster action and much lighter than it's predecessors. It started for SAGE when they introduced the Xi2 series of rods. If you aren't familiar with the Xi2, it is a blue colored salt water bomb introduced several years ago. The Xi2 rod was a replacement for the RPLXi, which in turn replaced the RPLX.

The RPLX was an O.K. rod it just never really was the type of rod let's say as the SP or the XP. If you are an SP fan, there is no reason to read this article. As a side note, my personal favorite was the XP. Like many of you, I was devastated with the news that the XP was being abandoned for that new Z-Axis.

Then I cast one of those Z-Axis rods. I have to tell you that the first outing was a beautiful sunny day here in Idaho. It was a test drive on the Boise River in town. I loaded my favorite Lamson reel with new RIO Agent X line and headed downtown. Wayne hadn't had these rods for over a day or two; in fact most fly shops hadn't seen the new rod from SAGE. That made me all the more excited to test it out.

It felt softer than my 6 weight XP, how could this rod have more power than that? The rod is definitely lighter than any of their previous rods. I started with close casts; you know to check the tip flex. It cast with ease and amazingly smooth. I ventured deeper in to the river and my casts ventured farther from me. Again the rod had power, it is hard to describe, but maybe it had more power than the XP.


I caught fish and was enjoying myself, when the wind kicked up. AT first it came as a slight breeze, then a full blown Idaho windstorm. (Pardon the pun) To be honest, it ticked me off! Yet even in the near gale wind the new Z-Axis cast unexpectedly well. Of course the hatch stopped. So I switched spools in favor of a 7' sink tip, type 6 line. I knew that if this "wonder rod" could cast that line, I would be hooked. One of the most important aspects of my rods is versatility. I don't have the time to go back to the suburban to get a different rod.

First cast, rather a close one, felt good. The next cast I peeled off 55-60 feet of line, after a false cast or two I double hauled the rod and let her fly. The line quickly pulled fro the water and yanked another 6 inches off the reel. I had not expected that kind of power from the Z-Axis. That power only came from my TCR!

Needless to say, I did catch a few more fish. I called Wayne to let him know that I wasn't bringing this rod back. He had better order as many as he could get his hands on.

The cost of the Z-Axis is relative compared to the value. Still it will run you over 600.00.





Shop for Sage Z-Axis and other fly fishing Rods at RiverBum.com and save. Free Shipping on orders over $25 for all fly fishing gear, equipment & more. Order today.



Category:
��

Comments

0 responses to "Sage Z-Axis G5 Technology"