5:14 PM | Posted in

There has been a lot of buzz around fluorocarbon the last few years. I have to tell you, I have tried them all.
Orvis, Berkley, Seaguar, P-line, Spider,and Trilene just to name a few. Here is the science behind the hoopla.

This line is created using Fluorocarbon, which by nature has the same reflective properties as does water. It literally disappears in water. Seaguar is the developer of this wonderful material. Many of the lines today are manufactured by them. That does not mean that all fluorocarbons are created equal.
So you are asking yourself, does it really work. My answer to you is yes, my friend, it really does work. It is considerably heavier than monofilament and will sink, if you are dry flying. But as a leader tippet material there is none finer. Some of these Fluorocarbon lines are not true 100% fluorocarbon. That is generally the specked out by the wholesalers choice of content. Here is the link to find out about fluorocarbon done in a true laboratory test setting.
Tackle review click here

I won't bore you with the scientific finds from that study. Instead I would rather give you a first hand experience.

This article comes from using fluorocarbon as a tippet materiel in wet fly and nymphing situations. Most of the lines I have tried have proven to be quite brittle. For me means that there have been lost fish due to faulty tippet. I was wandering through Wal-Mart one evening with my family, when I noticed that Berkley had a new fluorocarbon called Vanish. It was on sale (which always helps) I bought a spool of 2lb. The next week on the Owyhee I gave it a whirl. These fish see plenty of flies and anglers alike. No better place to try out this new line than on those huge Owyhee River Browns. It was bright and sunny, I tied on the 2lb. line and caught my first brown. Just over 20". I admit I played the fish quite a bit so as not to lose him. Soon I forgot that I was using 2lb. tippet and landed several more fish without and afterthought. The line actually helped my catch ratios for the day. Night soon fell and it was time to call it quits. I was loading up and breaking my rod down. I pulled on the fly expecting to break the line with ease. To my surprise, I got a nasty line cut instead. This Vanish line is tough, pliable and will make you a better "catcher". Since that night I have purchased 2#, 4#, 6#, and 8 lbs test lines. I use the 8 lb. Vanish line exclusively when steel heading. With great success I might add. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a less expensive and better performing tippet.
��

Comments

0 responses to "Berkely Fluorocarbon"